Sumter County is currently following the Southwest Florida Water Management District’s water restrictions.
Lawn Watering Schedule & Times
- Effective June 5, 2017 lawn watering will be limited to once per week.
- Lawn watering days and times are as follows unless your city has a different schedule or stricter hours in effect.
- Addresses with house numbers ending in 0 or 1 may only irrigate on Monday
- Addresses with house numbers ending in 2 or 3 may only irrigate on Tuesday
- Addresses with house numbers ending in 4 or 5 may only irrigate on Wednesday
- Addresses with house numbers ending in 6 or 7 may only irrigate on Thursday
- Addresses with house numbers ending in 8 or 9 may only irrigate on Friday
- No address (community common areas, etc. may only irrigate on Friday
- Hand watering and micro-irrigation of plants (other than lawns) can be done on any day and at any time, if needed.
New Lawns & Plants
- New lawns and plants have a 60-day establishment period. On days 1-30, they may be watered any day of the week.
- During days 31-60, they may be watered approximately every other day. Even numbered addresses may water on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Odd numbered addresses may be watered on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday.
- Reclaimed water remains subject to voluntary watering hours, unless blended with another water source or restricted by the local government or utility.
Fountains, Car Washing & Pressure Washing
- Car washing is limited to once-per-week on the designated watering day for the location.
- Commercial car washes, including mobile detailing businesses, may still operate on any day.
- Emergency and other first responder vehicles may still be washed on any day as needed.
- Fundraising events are prohibited unless they were scheduled prior to enactment of this order.
- Pressure washing is allowed once a year and for necessary purposes, such as prior to painting or sealing, in order to maintain a paint or material warranty, to address a health or safety hazard and to comply with health laws. See also “Deed Restrictions” below.
- Fountains and other aesthetic water features may only operate eight hours per day. The regular hours of operation can be selected by the owner, but must be posted (see fact sheet for list of exemptions, such as water features that also provide aerification to koi ponds).
If you have additional water restriction questions or wish to report a possible violation, please contact Southwest Florida Water Management District by calling the Water Restrictions Hotline at 800-848-0499 (Florida only) or by email. Personal assistance is available during business hours; off-hours uses an automated response system.